Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 2010 07:35:54 -0400
From:      Richard Morse <remorse@partners.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel panics?

Hi! I'm having a problem with an 8.1-RELEASE #0 amd64 machine.

Three weeks ago, it had a kernel panic, which I was too tired to properly c=
apture. On reboot, I forgot to run fsck in single user mode; about 12-14 ho=
urs later it crashed complaining that the background file system checks wer=
e inconsistent.

A day later it crashed with a "server double fault"; I was unfortunately on=
 the way to a meeting, along with all of my technical co-workers, so I wasn=
't able to see the screen, and it was being reported by someone who was poo=
rly equipped to give a good report.

A few days later, it had hung (it didn't respond to input), and I needed to=
 hard restart.

A few days later, the same thing happened.

Last weekend, on Friday evening it complained about the hard disk controlle=
r disappearing (at least, as far back as I was able to go in the screen buf=
fer).

Saturday night, I finally got a kernel panic that I captured; after this, I=
 turned on core dumps.

However, last night, it crashed again, and tried to write out a core, but d=
idn't succeed.

The kernel panic from Saturday night was:

    panic: unknown cluster size
    cpuid =3D 0
    Uptime: 1h49m37s
    Cannot dump. Device not defined or unavailable.
    aac0: shutting down controller...
   =20
    cpuid =3D 9; apic id =3D 10
    fault virtual address =3D 0x1d
    fault code            =3D supervisor write data, page not present
    current process       =3D 12 (irq256: em0)
    trap number           =3D 12
    done

Last night's:

    cpuid =3D 9; apic id =3D 11
    fault virtual address =3D 0x8098f90e
    fault code            =3D supervisor read data, page not present
    current process       =3D 97530 (taper)
    trap number           =3D 12
    panic: page fault
    cpuid =3D 9
    Uptime: 3d21h24m57s
    Physical memory: 12211MB
    Dumping 2942MB:

Note that there was nothing after the "Dumping 2942MB:"; the cursor was sit=
ting just after the colon. On reboot, it did not find any cores to save to =
disk (I did have to boot single user and fsck -y; is it possible that this =
interfered with the core dump? if so, how do I fix this?).

I tried, this morning, to run memtest86, however both 3.5 and 3.4 just give=
 loud annoying beeps, not displaying anything on screen (not even a menu; o=
nce I get past the boot loader from the memtest86 cd, it just starts beepin=
g).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ricky

addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-ma=
il
contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLi=
ne at
http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in e=
rror
but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and pro=
perly
dispose of the e-mail.