Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2019 05:48:18 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Eduardo Lemos de Sa <eduardo.lemosdesa@gmail.com>
Cc:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cannot build generic kernel

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 20:53:29 -0300, Eduardo Lemos de Sa wrote:
> Dear
>
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 4:55 PM Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com> wrote:
>
> > from David Azarewicz:
> >
> > > I downloaded and installed FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img
> >
> > > I checked out base/stable/12 r350009 using svnlite
> >
> > > I followed the directions on
> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
> > > for building the kernel.
> >
> > > I get an error:
> > >   make[2]: "/usr/src/sys/conf/kern.pre.mk" line 127: amd64/arm64/i386
> > kernel requires linker
> > > ifunc support
> >
> > > both
> > >   make buildkernel
> > > and
> > >   make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
> > > fail exactly the same way.
> >
> > > Today I updated to r350112 and the problem persists.
> >
> > > So I have a fresh unmodified install of FreeBSD 12.0 RELEASE, I have a
> > fresh unmodified
> > > checkout of FreeBSD 12 stable, I followed the directions for building
> > the standard, default,
> > > generic kernel and it fails. I tried searching for a solution to this
> > problem and could not find a
> > > solution. How can I fix this problem?
> >
> > Did you make buildworld before attempting buildkernel?
> >
> > I read UPDATING in the top directory of the src tree, and you are supposed
> > to "make buildworld" before buildkernel.
> >
> > That would put updated tools in place for buildkernel.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> No, I just
>

> make kernel-toolchain buildkernel
>
> make installkernel
>
> reboot
>
> make buildworld
>
> make installworld

The step "make buildworld", being required for "make installworld",
seems to be missing...

> (sometimes, you need to do a mergemaster -Ui - as it is described on
> handbook)

I suggest you also have a look at /usr/src/Makefile's comment header
which contains a nice summary of the procedure you should follow.

# For individuals wanting to upgrade their sources (even if only a
# delta of a few days):
#
#  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
#  2.  `make buildworld'
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
#       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
#  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `make delete-old'
#  9.  `mergemaster'            (you may wish to use -i, along with -U or -F).
# 10.  `reboot'
# 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)
#
# See src/UPDATING `COMMON ITEMS' for more complete information.

Compare with the relevant handbook article:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html

Additionally see 23.5.6.2. Checking for Outdated Files and Libraries.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany