Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:23:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au (Peter Childs)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: summary of changes my changes in current recently

According to Peter Childs:
> In article <199607112114.PAA02542@rocky.mt.sri.com> you wrote:
> : > Just so that people have some sort of idea what The folks here at whistle
> : > (including me) have been doing. (In -current).
> : > These have been put back in FreeBSD so they are now generally available.
> : >
> : > 1/ added kernel level support for appletalk-over-ethernet
> : >
> : > 2/ added support for the above in netstat, route, ifconfig
>
> : ....
>
> : > Re: Appletalk.. Whistle Communications has agreed to supply
> : > the netatalk crew with a freeBSD machine, so I hope that in
> : > the future, netatalk releases will be native-ports on FreeBSD-current.
> : > I expect that Wes will be supplying me with direct -current patches
> : > both for the kernel parts and for the daemons themselves.
> : > With luck the kernel support for appletalk will also be relevant to
> : > the CAP camp.
>
> : Wonderful.  How do I use it to talk with the Macs in the office, or is
> : this another one of those 'enabling' technologies that's 90% of the way
> : there. :)
>
>  Its all getting there... CAP works ok at the moment via bpf's and you
>  can check out a "getting started" guide on CAP and FreeBSD (2.1+)
>  at
>
>   http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/freebsd/freebsd+cap/
>
> : nate
>
>  Regards,
>    Peter

Peter,

I don't think you understand Nate's point.  Julian integrated the required
*kernel changes* from the netatalk program.  He did not commit the other
essential parts of netatalk to -current; i.e., the daemons and manpages.

The questions is ``Can I retrieve netatalk-1.3.3.tar.gz from umich.edu;
compile atalkd; and expect it to magically work with Julian's changes?''
(Atalkd is the Appletalk daemon.)

Nate's point is that Julian's effort left out the most important 10%.

PS: The last time I checked netatalk outperformed CAP.

--
Steve