Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 13:28:21 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org (Tim Vanderhoek), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fnord0: disabled, not probed.

> How will I know I have unused drivers if I don't get this message?

You boot -c and you go look.

Seriously.  There is a method for examining the kernel's internal ISA
configuration (and only ISA devs can be so disabled) just as there's a
way of running strings(1) on the kernel to generate a list of RCS ids
for the various things which went into building it so those bases are
covered.  Both can be very useful bits of information but you probably
won't find many people arguing that the kernel should spit out all its
RCSid strings at boot time.  One man's useful information is another
man's noise, and now the noise level is at least selectable.  I
definitely find the boot-time message *far* easier to read with this
change now!  It's like the difference between night and day in
GENERIC, at least.

					Jordan