Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 95 11:31:57 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        tanel@juku.li.ttu.ee (Tanel Kuusk)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, julian@freefall.cdrom.com, fs@freefall.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, hardware@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: [DEVFS] your opinions sought!

> > > /dev/ptm/...		master pty
> > > /dev/pts/...		slave pty
> >
> > I think these could be better named.  /dev/pty/{m,s}/?
>
> Well, /dev/pts/... is more like SVR4 does. BTW, are we talking about normal
> /dev here or something like Sun's /devices?

Yes, it's more like SVR4.

It's also more like AIX.  The point in doing that is to allow dynamic
cloning of the devices so that you eliminate the pty name change and
size limit crap that has persisted on most systems and leads to ever
more complex code in xterm and telnet and other places as machine get
big enough to handle more than 16 PTY's, then more than 32, then....

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.