Date:      Fri, 09 Jan 1998 14:39:52 -0600
From:      "Adam W. Dace" <awd@fastparts.com>
To:        "Jesse D. Walters" <jwalt@mwci.net>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java intallation (fwd)

Jesse D. Walters wrote:

> I am installing jdk1.0.2 and when I run the make install everything works
> fine, however it writes all the files to the ./work directory.  Am I able
> to cp the entire "work" directory recursively into say /usr/local/java?

I've never done what you have, but just to give you a speedy reply I'd
guess yes.
If subdirs include bin, lib, demo, etc. it sounds to me(I've been using
java under Solaris for a long time now) like the correct directories.

>         I noticed when I viewed ./work/bin/java it was still in script.
> Is that the way it is suppose to be? TIA

Yes!  It's exactly the same under Solaris.

My guess is that the JavaSoft people wanted a way to abstract what was
actually run from what platform java was running on.  Under Solaris, for
instance, it makes the decision of what thread library to use at
invocation.
If this helps, here's the first three lines of /usr/local/bin/java under
Solaris:

#! /bin/ksh
#
#     @(#)java_wrapper.sh       1.31 97/09/02

> Please reply to jwalt@mwci.net  since I am only on the questions mailing
> list.  Again, thank you.
> Jess

Another guy watching the mailing list, waiting for a stable release of
JDK 1.1.5 for FBSD,

--
Adam W. Dace (AD332) | E-Mail:       awd@fastparts.com
Software Programmer  | Office URL:   http://www.fastparts.com/

ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments:
           [12700], [603999874], [15], [], [], [], [], []