Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 2020 08:33:59 +0200
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd@daemonic.se>
To:        Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>, Jan Beich <jbeich@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: drm-i915kms + x11-intel eats out all of the ram and swap but not with x11-scfb
References:  <CAFYkXj=HQ6NKx=_4fG5vyPokdL5FBpdiKccVChL-w7Q=Ty=w5w@mail.gmail.com> <19d0dbdc-f1ac-22f1-6934-076bb5733ab7@daemonic.se> <CAFYkXj=Tq4y_a_=ikiuspDbX6wK4qqPj5qturaZ3OS5CU4zQJw@mail.gmail.com> <24c43065-527d-499b-282a-43df2a947a1d@gmail.com> <CAFYkXjn7iwa7rmZVUYS75qKe6UeN8mBREG6h-n1zMt8UTS9whA@mail.gmail.com> <lfmu-2ghu-wny@FreeBSD.org> <CAFYkXjko0-Md36LYPQD3CWZkDBKAGT9Xr6T_FZ6yqM6j75uZTg@mail.gmail.com>

On 2020-04-17 21:09, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 7:02 PM Jan Beich <jbeich@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> xf86-video-intel support ends after CoffeeLake. Current version in ports/
>> is more than 1 year old, so maybe try the patch in bug 236003.
>>
>> Outside of DDX Intel deprecated pre-Broadwell support:
>> - beignet is abandoned in favor of compute-runtime (aka NEO)
>> - intel-vaapi-driver is maintenance-only in favor of media-driver
>> - i965 development slowed down in favor of iris (default since Mesa 20.0.0)
>
> Thank you Jan! To be honest I just need several monitors to work, web
> browser, KiCAD, FreeCAD, Blender, most of my work I do in a
> terminal+tmux anyway :-) Nice image quality, 3D acceleration, and
> OpenCL would be really nice to have but not a blocker to work (it
> would bring efficiency and comfort for sure). For years I was using
> simple vesa video driver on my FreeBSD laptop and I could live with
> that. I had another machine for multimedia (macOS). Now  I am working
> only on a FreeBSD laptop, so basic work requirements come first. I am
> keeping my fingers for DRM KMS Intel for my laptop (multiple monitors)
> and AMDGPU OpenCL for my workstation (GPU computing). Threre is no
> reason to invest time into something that is dead already (x11-intel).

You should be able to get this with drm-kmod as the kernel driver and
the modesetting xorg-server driver, everything except OpenCL, at least.
For AMDGPU you might still want to use xf86-video-amdgpu instead of
modesetting, if you prefer.

Regards
--
Niclas