Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:47:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Michael Bacarella <mbac@nyct.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead ?

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Michael Bacarella wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > One day we will discover that we can't use FreeBSD as freely and / or
> > > with the same quality.
>
> > I wish you doom-sayers would actually come up with some conclusive
> > rationale for your fears here.  Nobody has yet to come up with a
> > single reason as to how or why all these disaster scenarios would come
> > to pass and there has been considerable evidence to the contrary
> > already presented here.
>
> > All I see here are a lot of fears and unfounded statements about who
> > BSDI are or what they're going to be in a year's time.  If you think
> > you know all the answers to those questions, please introduce me to
> > your fortune teller!  Otherwise, I'd say you're doing a lot more harm
> > than good with this kind of speculation and have to seriously question
> > your motives at this point.
>
> I'm not a doom-sayer, but try to understand this from our point of view.
>
> Corporations care only for their interests. Their stockholders will be
> pissed if they act otherwise. Do you really think there's something wrong
> with people who are scrutinizing this move? We all love FreeBSD and don't
> want anything bad to happen to it.
>
> Your view of this will obviously be different from ours since you actually
> discussed this merger with BSDI --- Wait, JUST HOW LONG has this been
> going on anyway? You've probably been discussing this for at least more
> than 24 hours. Did it ever cross your mind to ask WE, the faithful FreeBSD
> users for some input? Were you anticipating this unfound resentment to the
> merger and felt that a better course of action would be to approve the
> move, and just let everyone whine after the fact, as opposed to let
> everyone whine during the fact, and cause more outrage if you went ahead
> and did it despite protest.
I've know about it for about 5 months so it's definitly not 24 hours,
however you are STILL misunderstanding the situation..

nobody is buying or merging with FreeBSD inc.

BSDI is merging with WC.
WC had no control over FreeBSD except to teh a SUBCONTRACTOR to FreeBSD
inc.

In effect this is the situation:
FreeBSD inc hired WC to produce the CDs and in fact it was not even an
exclusive thing. In return WC payed for the costs of doing the
organisation work needed to produce regular releases. BSDI is merging
with the subcontractor. This no more affects FreeBSD than if the local
pizza manufacurer (also crucial to freeBSD) were to be sold.

The biggest difference is:
Because of this change, BSDI personell will be spending time working on
freeBSD. SOME of there staff are already WEEL KNOWN and in HIGHLY REGARDED
in the BSD world due to the fact that they created it. These people will
therefore
be accepted into the BSD world at a rank that one would expect.
Mike Karels, As a major architect of BSD in general will
be going into core. This would happen should he suddenly switch to using
FreeBSD no matter what the situation (Merger or no merger). Mike WROTE THE
SOCKETS CODE and as such he's already served his time.

Don't confuse the (re)enterance of the old BSD guys (and associated
shake-ups as some responsibilities are re-arranged,) with the merger of
two separate companies, both of which are separate from freebsd inc.
and the core group.

> Perhaps some people are feeling left out, maybe even betrayed. I would
> have a hard time believing that you can't understand that, having dealt
> with the user base for as many years as you have.

You seem to consider that WC was in someway beholden to the FreeBSD
developers. The organisation you are thinking of is FreeBSD inc.
and THAT is not involved (except  in an indirect manner) in this deal.
WC payed many of the costs of FreeBSD inc. (e.g. supplied office space
and support staff) but is was never in control of freeBSD, nor
did it ever try to be so, instead, accepting the releases to publish
as we threw them over the wall. AT OUR SCHEDULE (we, the developers).

> The fact that nobody (except maybe your trusted circle of supporters) was
> made aware of this beforehand only adds to our suspicion now, even if your
> actions were totally innocent. In fact, personally I think you're just
> stupid, as opposed to malicious. :)

There has been no change to the status of FreeBSD, other than the influx
of some old developers back into this fold. Our printing subcontractor has
however changed it's name.

does this clear up the difficulty for you?
did they need to clear this with you first?

Julian