Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:49:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Libraries

Quoth Chuck Robey on Tue, 14 April:
: Classic case in point is the tcl stuff.  If the newer versions
: were compatible with older versions, we wouldn't have or need abortions
: like libtcl81, we'd just have libtcl, and the linker would simply pick
: up the latest version.  The trouble comes in when there are library
: upgrades which orphan existing applications, so you must be able to to
: have both lib versions on hand to run a given set of applications.  You
: don't want our linker then to pick the latest version, so the basename
: has to be modified.

I had thought the whole point of the .so.maj.min scheme was that
existing applications could continue to use .so.(N-1).x while newly
compiled applications use .so.N.x.