Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 06:18:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wats so special about freeBSD?

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Wes Peters wrote:

> Joseph Scott wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > > OTOH, if you want to install a secure system and don't know what you're
> > > doing, OpenBSD installs a much more secure configuration out of the box.
> > > The afterboot(8) man page helps a neophyte administrator figure out what
> > > they might want to do to continue securing their system.
> >
> > ROFL!!!  I'm sorry, I realize this you were serious here, but when I read
> > I almost did fall down laughing.  This part just kills me :
> >
> >  "if you want to install a secure system and don't know what you're doing
> > ..."
>
> Keep right on laughing, while thinking about the staff of "IT Professionals"
> installing and maintaing the internet gateway at your bank, your city gov't,
> and your local utilities.  It is not a laughing matter.

	The laughing part came from the idea that just because they used a
system that installs out of the box in a secure manner doesn't mean they
won't then go on to screw it up.  I'm not claiming this as reason to give
up on having a default of a secure install, simply that a secure install
is not a silver bullet.

	Looking at all the different systems that I interact with as a
consumer, yes it makes me more than a little nervous how most
companies/utilities/etc "manage security".

	Strangely enough I was asked to interview for a job that they'd
tried to fill on three different occassion's in past.  Their problem
: getting people to apply that new more than "I can display the files in a
directory using ls".  And those were the college grads :-(

---
Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu
The Office Of Water Programs - CSU Sacramento