Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2017 12:09:57 -0500
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   going around in circles

I know that I successfully built p5-DBD-pg against Pg96 in the past
because I have both installed and working together.  However, I can no
longer repeat the process.  When I try to build p5-DBD-pg from the
ports collection after setting the default value for postgresql to 9.6
in make.conf I get this error.

In file included from quote.c:10:
./Pg.h:35:10: fatal error: 'libpq-fe.h' file not found
#include "libpq-fe.h"

So, where to get 'libpq-fe.h'?  postgresql-libpgeasy maybe?  Ok, but
how to install?  pkg install postgresql-libpgeasy.  However, this
leads to this:

The following 3 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
        postgresql-libpgeasy: 3.0.4_1
        postgresql93-client: 9.3.15_1

and postgresql93-client: 9.3.15_1 leads to this:

        perl5.20: 5.20.3_15

whereas I have 5.24 installed.

So, If I build libeasy from ports instead I see this:

make install clean
. . .
checking for PQconnectdb in -lpq... no
Error: libpq.so not found
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
. . .

I know that I did not run into this back in December. There was a
massive update to the ports collection applied today and I am guessing
that just maybe that has something to do with this.

My understanding may be faulty but I was under the impression that if
one used the ports system then this sort of stuff was not supposed to
happen.  That if there were dependencies then the port build process
would pull them in automatically.  This is not happening in this
instance and I am not sure whether this is a real problem or if I am
somehow missing a step or using the wrong command.  Is Postgresql96
not supported on FreeBSD?

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3