Date:      Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:18:35 +0000
From:      Chris Whitehouse <chris@childeric.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Copying kernel and OS

Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
> On 12/10/05, Damon Blom <surferdamon@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>   Thank's. Is there an easy way to install ports on slow machine using nfs
>>after portupgrade on fast machine? For one port I guess you could do a nfs
>>mount of faster machine ports after doing make on ithe port and just do
>>install on slower machine

I think you would have had to do make install on the fast machine so
that dependencies get created but not make install clean so that the
work directories don't get deleted. Then I guess a make install in the
nfs mounted ports tree would do the trick.

On my fast machine I created a /usr/ports/packages directory then each
  time I want to install a new port on any machine I do 'make
package-recursive' in the port directory of the fast machine. This
installs the port and dependencies and also creates in
/usr/ports/packages a 'package tree' which has the same structure as the
ports tree with the addition of a /usr/ports/packages/All directory. The
packages for the new port and all its dependencies automagically go into
All and are symlinked to the relevant bit of the the package tree.

To install a package on another machine I get the package tree installed
in the right place by whatever means (nfs, move the hard disk etc),
change to /usr/ports/packages/All and do pkg_add -r <packagename>.

Chris