Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 00:54:30 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Francisco Reyes <reyesf@super.zippo.com>, "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

Greg Lehey scribbled this message on Dec 5:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 1997 at 02:50:07AM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> > I was wondering if there would be any problems with creating a script
> > for some of the  steps of building a new kernel. What if any would be
> > the problem with having a script which does:
> >
> > config kern1
> > cd ../../kern1
> > make depend
> > make all
> > make install
>
> Why not?  Of course, you could simplify it.
>
> > If such script was created it should check the return code of the
> > make command to make sure there were no problems.
>
> You wouldn't need to do that if you wrote:
>
>  make config depend all install
>
> Better still, you could make a target 'world' which did this for you,
> including the cd's and configs in your original version.

hmm... where is this config target for make??  just checked my -current
kernel source tree and see no config target...

also, how do you propose to handle the directory tree being removed and
recreated out from under you when config runs?  (hmm... something like
exec'ing make after the config phase might work...)

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD