Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 00:04:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        seth@pengar.com (Seth Leigh)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HLT

[ ... redirected to -chat ... ]

> Someone write this down, so we don't forget.
>
> The environment *must* be one of Terry's hot buttons.
>
> Beware, lest you push it!

No, my hot button is people claiming something is true "because
everyone knows it", instead of because they know it themselves.

Personally, I'm all for global warming, as it's been unseasonably
cold in my area lately.  I'm guessing that if we hadn't had an
industrial revolution in the 1800's, we have already started into
another ice age by now.

Another example from the "environmental" faction is Oxygenated
fuel.  My car does not have fuel injection, it's carbuerated,
and any car with injection manufactered since 1982 has an Oxygen
sensor.  What this means is that there's a narrow band of cars
that pollute less with Oxygenated fuel, and all others not only
get worse mileage, they pollute _more_ (just different levels of
various pollutants).

I used to have to go out of my way get fuel that wasn't Oxygenated
in order to pass emissions in Pima county, Arizona.  In the Bay
area, you can only get Oxygenated fuel.  My car still passes on
it (they relaxed some pollutant level requirements to take the
Oxygenation into effect, but it gets about 20% worse gas mileage
on Oxygenated fuels, so I get to burn 20% more.  Without them,
my car does 64MPG on the highway, and pollutes less doing it.

8-p.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---