Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:12:05 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Converting text files

At 01:15 15-03-1999 -0800, Byron Brummer wrote:
>	I may be picking a nit, however the above is considered to be the
>	"syntax".  Even a program that takes no arguments at all has a
>	syntax, albeit a void one.

Oh, the wonders of written communications. :-) No way to emphasize a
specific word, such as "learn." There is no steep learning curve, that's
what I'm saying.

>	Many holy wars have been started over far less. :-)

True again. :-)

>	Typically the best place for ideas such as this is an open forum,
>	such as the general mailing lists and .misc newsgroups.  It's
>	generally better for ideas to be openly debated before they are
>	adopted in the large.

Well, about a month ago, someone asked in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc how to
convert text files. He of course received the perl solution as well as my
suggestion to get tuc. He went for tuc, I'm glad to say. :-)

>	I really would suggest picking up some perl.  It's pretty much the
>	most powerful power tool you'll find anywhere.  You might even find
>	yourself disliking C quite a bit after perl, most do. :-)

Now, there's a reason for holy war! I am not most. :-) Yes, I am familiar
with perl, and hate it with a passion. :-) But thanks for the suggestion,
anyway. Give me a good assembler, and I'll be happy like a baby.

Adam
---
Want to design your own web counter?
Get GCL 2.10 from http://www.whizkidtech.net/gcl/