Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:37:49 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another advocacy opportunity

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 08:02:54PM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> James Howard wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Bill Fumerola wrote:
> >
> > > 180, now.

Hello guys, I am sorry that I can only write to you now when perhaps all
this is already obsolete but it's only now morning in Europe:-)

So is the above number the number of committers we have? If so, I think
this "number of developers" thing might need a bit of rewording, perhaps,
to make
it look as big a deal as it is. It is true that there are the committers but
development is surely done by a lot more people than that. If we write
"nearly 200" and the reader happens to have heard of Linux, they might
think: Linux has much more volunteers working on that, it must be better. If
the reader thinks of big corporations, they might think: but there are many
more professional developers for sure at any big company, they must be
better.

Not everybody knows the (IMHO exemplary)
development/support/bug-tracking model we use, it could be a
good topic for another article (hint:-) but until it is widely known we must
avoid the impression that the whole OS is made just by a couple of die-hards
who are desperate for attention... instead the advantage of having this many
skilled developers evaluate changes should be emphasized...

How about this:

"FreeBSD is developed by a large group of volunteers worldwide and nearly
200 skilled developers (the so-called committers) evaluate each proposed
change carefully in order to ensure reliability and stability on an ongoing
basis."

Just my $0.02...

Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM