Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:46:07 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Aaron Smith <aaron-fbsd@mutex.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>, Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: synch primitives (was Re: Microsoft performance)

Aaron Smith wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:14:19 CDT, Alfred Perlstein writes:
> >I'm not sure what you mean by the refernce to malloc types, I just
> >thought something along the lines of mutex_t with an API
> >for trying, allocating, freeing and initializing them.
>
> i'd really like to implement some of the basic solaris primitives: mutex,
> cv (condition variable), sema p/v. i sent a message to the smp list on this
> at one point but didn't get much of a response other than cranky noises
> about "super fine-grained locking isn't worth it". what i'd like to see is
> the groundwork laid for finER locking so that we can gradually break up the
> points of contention. mutex/cv/sema are intuitive and taught in every OS
> course; i don't feel "simple_lock" or "lockmgr" are desirable or adequate.
>
> i'm willing to work on it, but i can't get to it for at least a couple of
> months, so i'm hoping someone else wants to work on it too.

Here's a couple of good research points:

uC/OS II by Jean J. Labrosse.  This books presents the source for a
small, embeddable kernel.  It is quite good, and clearly explained.
The kernel supports a rich set of threading tools, including sema-
phores, mailboxes, and message queues.  http://www.ucos-ii.com/ or
just buy the book.  ;^)

eCos, from Cygnus support.  A "community source license" embedded OS.
I haven't worked with eCos much (yet), but it should be pretty
comprehensive.  http://www.cygnus.com/ecos/ for more info.

RTEMS, a GPL'd embedded kernel.  RTEMS was designed for multiprocessor
systems from the ground up, and has a rich set of SMP-related tools.
Seehttp://www.oarcorp.com/rtems/rtems.html for information and down
loads.