Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 01:37:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au
Subject:   Re: Any way to get machine out of hires when it breaks into DDB> ?

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Mark Newton wrote:

> Mike Smith wrote:
>
>  > > I don't understand why we can't use VM86 bios calls to switch modes these
>  > > days.  Mind you, I don't really understand the VM86 code.
>  >
>  > The BIOS can only be expected to move from one known state to another
>  > known state. Because the BIOS hasn't put the card *into* the mode that
>  > the X server is in, it can't be expected to get it out.
>
> Speaking out of ignorance here:  The BIOS can reset the card, can't it?
>
> [ if not, how does the video mode get restored when you reboot? ]
>
> It's in a known state once it has been reset, one would hope...

I did a bit of that 'r33t0' mode-X stuff a while back, the bios didn't
seem to have a problem with restoring from that.

However without having actually tried anything I'm assuming Mike means
that with the complex graphics processors out there, that sometimes the
only way to get it back into a known state is to rerun the svga bios's
point of entry.

-Alfred