Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 19:36:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kld questions

I'm interested in transforming our Trapeze/Myrinet device driver into
a KLD, and I've got two specific questions about KLDs.

o How do I attach a PCI device after boot time?  Is this even
supported?  Can anybody point me at any sample code?

o How do I make the KLD unload procedure wait until the module is
ready to be unloaded?  Is it legal to sleep?

The motivation behind this question is that the driver allocates its
own memory for receives, and wraps external mbufs around that memory.
That means it has its own mbuf reference & free routines.  It would be
a bad thing if an mbuf the driver allocated was still floating around
in the upper layers of the IP stack after the driver was unloaded --
eventually, M_FREE would call the no-longer existent ext_free()
function.

Thanks,

Drew