Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 12:45:47 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Let's hack on the Handbook!  ..my ideas...

    Doug> Hi folks, I've been lurking around the net for a lot of
    Doug> years now (Yes, I remember BEFORE the web started dragging
    Doug> the whole net down!)

Yep, the good ol' days ... there was just Usenet, email, and ftp.
Gopher didn't even exist yet and archie/prospero was just in the
planning stages.

    Doug> I like the idea of having one handbook for users (The
    Doug> FreeBSD User's Handbook), one for programmers (The FreeBSD
    Doug> Programmer's Handbook) and a separate one for system
    Doug> administrators (The FreeBSD System Administrator's
    Doug> Handbook).

Sounds like a reasonable division, but is there enough material to
support it?  I really don't think so.

    Doug> In the current Handbook, there is a lot of good programming
    Doug> help, so I figure we should pull that all out and put it
    Doug> into a guide for everyone that wants to hit the development
    Doug> side.

Huh?  Are you looking at the same handbook?  I don't see *any*
programming help in the whole thing (looking at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html).

Part 1 details installation and tells how to use man pages (adm,
user); part 2 is all system administration (adm).  Part 2 tells how to
administrate networking (adm).  Part 4 tells about a variety of things
including sup, contributors, and kernel debugging.  Now, kernel
debugging might be programming help, but I usually consider it a
combined advanced development/system admin topic, so let's score this
section as (adm, user).  The score: adm=4, user=2, prog=0.

When I look at the elephantine bookshelves of HP/UX docs here at the
lab, I see tons of material that fits in all three categories: Welcome
to the Visual User Environment (user), Administering ARPA Services
(adm), Introduction to Berkeley Sockets (prog), Using Floating-Point
on PA/RISC (prog), The XDB Symbolic Debugger (prog), Using vi (user),
etc.  Sun manuals are similar.

Our on FreeBSD handbook would need an introduction to Berkeley
sockets, using floating point on the i386, etc., to merit a separate
book on programming.  James Raynard got us a good start with his
tutorial on development (yay!).  And if I had the time I'd be happy to
write a chapter on RPC programming with FreeBSD.

However, I think all that should be *low* priority.  I don't know for
sure, but I think most people who get FreeBSD for development already
know what they're doing.  And all the other people are using FreeBSD
to provide Internet services.  More important to me would be a part
(or separate handbook) devoted to providing Internet services.

        Part 5: Internet Services

                Providing shell access
                DNS
                        Configuring DNS
                        Providing naming services
                World Wide Web
                        Types of web servers
                        Server configuration
                        Proxy servers
                        Tracking usage
                Aliased IP addresses
                Email Services
                        Internet mail routing: sendmail
                        Mail user services
                        POP and similar protocols
                        User mail agents
                Administering USENET
                Log file management

That would also help make FreeBSD a better ``selling'' platform.
Internet services are hot and we should capitalize on that.

    Doug> I'll extract the programmer's info and build the
    Doug> Programmer's Handbook, then start on the System
    Doug> Administrator's and User's books.

Perhaps we use separate definitions for programmer's info ... where is
this stuff?!?

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov