Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:16:51 -0700
From:      Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: this is probably a little touchy to ask...

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

Quoth Randal L. Schwartz on Friday, 10 September 2010:
>=20
> Mark> That's a pretty idealistic view of the upcoming release of HTML5.
> Mark> I have yet to see a release of HTML that is compatible across
> Mark> browsers, i.e.  adapted universally by all browsers uniformly.
> Mark> Java is still a very viable platform, even on the browser.
>=20
> Whenever I see Java firing up on my browser, I cringe.  (Flash too.)
>=20
> There are darn few things either of these do that a good modern
> cross-platform library, like jQueryUI, can't do instead.
>=20
> Except for video playback, which HTML5 fixes as well.  And yes, until
> then, we're stuck with Flash.
>=20
> We needed Java before we had good JavaScript.  Now we have good
> JavaScript.
>=20
> I repeat... Java had its day.  Time to move on.
>=20

Perhaps someone could provide specific use cases for which Java is the
only good solution?

I don't have Flash installed on my browser, and what I lack from that is
evident.  I have yet to miss Java in any way.  What problems would it
solve for people that can't be solved using a different approach?

--=20
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling@camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips=
.com