Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:51:13 +0200
From:      Geert Poels <Geert.Poels@skynet.be>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: About printed books

--=====================_6453137==_.ALT

> > A site like http://www.iuniverse.com/marketplace/default.asp
> > has a few printed versions but only those.
>   The FreeBSD Developer's Handbook is nowhere near being polished
>enough for publication in a printed form.  It's pretty bad even for an
>"informal" techpubs company like fatbrain or iuniverse.com.  I'd
>really like to see this book printed in 12-18 months, but there is a
>LOT of work to be done before its ready.  Please help us finish
>writing it!
Since I have close to nothing to write on this topic (because I'm rather a
learner), I'd like to be a proofreader.
Other assistance would be quality control, giving ideas and maybe helping
layout.

Let me first make a quick sidestep :
----------------------
First of all, the Doc. project homepage
(http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/docproj.html)
and subsequent pages are uneasy to navigate.
A lot of scrolling could be avoided by creating a left side menu (without
going into frames).
Also the content, while technically accurate, doesn't guide the reader as
much as could be.
As an example take the submission page :
http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/submitting.html

Lets take the first part of the pages :
I have written some documentation. How do I submit it?
Only in the second half there's the next part about changes to existing docs.
Make this choice right from the beginning.
First, thank you for taking the time to do this.

You should make your documentation available for review. If you can, put it
on an FTP site or a website.

Then post a message to the -doc mailing list, with a brief outline of the
documentation and the pointer to its location, and solicit feedback.
What's the URL ?  I can be simply inserted.
If, for some reason, you can not put the documentation up for FTP or on a
web site somewhere you can send it directly to the -doc mailing list. If
you do this, please only send plain text documents.
These lines should be put two lines up.

You should probably cc: this request for comments to other appropriate
mailing lists. For example, something that relates to how to use CVSup to
keep your source tree up to date would be of interest to the subscribers of
the FreeBSD-current and FreeBSD-stable mailing lists.
Link to a page with these lists.
After people have looked over your documentation, and you have had the
chance to incorporate any of their suggestions, you are ready to submit it.
Use a numbered list to more easily read the steps.

Next : IMHO, the main use of the main docproject page should be to explain
to people with information how
they can submit this. For the more dedicated writers, more details on the
format, styleguide, ... .
The menu should be something like
- How to submit documentation/changes
- Volunteer
- About the doc project

Not much more.
Then gradually, more details on the format, etc. can be prevailed.
One time submitters shouldn't be scared away with an SGML overdose.

It's about guiding the donator. :-)

One never gets the impression the documentation project is 'living'.

-----------------------

About the developers book.
The biggest part will probably be to get the content filled.
Maybe it's kinda big undertaking but IMHO, best would be if A LOT of
the FBSD developers overlooked or read the current version (again).
Just proofreading is already worth a lot.

Geert
--=====================_6453137==_.ALT

&gt; has a few printed versions but only those.<br>
&nbsp; The FreeBSD Developer's Handbook is nowhere near being
polished<br>
enough for publication in a printed form.&nbsp; It's pretty bad even for
an<br>
&quot;informal&quot; techpubs company like fatbrain or
iuniverse.com.&nbsp; I'd<br>
really like to see this book printed in 12-18 months, but there is
a<br>
LOT of work to be done before its ready.&nbsp; Please help us
finish<br>
writing it!</blockquote>Since I have close to nothing to write on this
topic (because I'm rather a<br>
learner), I'd like to be a proofreader.<br>
Other assistance would be quality control, giving ideas and maybe helping
layout.<br><br>
Let me first make a quick sidestep :<br>
----------------------<br>
First of all, the Doc. project homepage
(<a href="http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/docproj.html" eudora="autourl">http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/docproj.html</a>)<br>;
and subsequent pages are uneasy to navigate.<br>
A lot of scrolling could be avoided by creating a left side menu (without
going into frames).<br>
Also the content, while technically accurate, doesn't guide the reader as
much as could be.<br>
As an example take the submission page :<br>
Lets take the first part of the pages :<br>
it?<br>