Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2020 11:03:28 -0500
From:      Dan McGrath <danmcgrath.ca@gmail.com>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Starting with poudriere

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 10:51 AM Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com> wrote:

> Just a note that this is not a strict requirement. I have been upgrading
> from FreeBSD 9 to 12 currently and was always building on the same
> system that I am deploying to. Yes, poudriere will complain that the
> jail is newer than the base system, but that did not create any major
> practical problem for me yet.
>
> I think only on one occasion I got a build error due to missing symbols.
> Then the solution for me was to upgrade the base system. This of course
> broke the applications that were installed for the older base, but
> thanks to the FreeBSD's separation of base from ports, it's still
> possible to start FreeBSD with just the command line. Then I finished
> building the ports and reinstalled them.
>
> Not that I encourage this approach, it might create additional issues to
> solve, but it is possible/manageable and shouldn't be held against using
> poudriere.

Ah, good to know. It's been a long time now since I ran into that, so I was
a little hazy on the details of the error.

I love the separation of FreeBSD from ports, and indeed, being able to
recover from broken userland is nice, although I hate the days where I
remove libs first, then try run sudo, and have to go in via BMC. Worse is
if you have a critical website down. Especially if you have to stop and
spend a bunch of time compiling ports before you go live! :D Also, tex and
llvm, wtf is with those build times?! heh

Anyway, thanks for clarifying!

Cheers,

Dan McGrath