Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 21:30:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        John <freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: pcmcia cdrom

My secret spy satellite informs me that on 17-Sep-98, John wrote:
> Can freebsd 2.2.7-stable support a cdrom connected to a laptop via a
> PCMCIA card interface?
>
> If it can, what hardware of this type is known to work (and not to
> work)? I can't find any instance of this information in the handbook.

I remember using a CD-ROM made by EXP Computer.  It was a 2x *without* a
built-in soundcard.  I believe the model was EXP CD-940E.  It was actually
an ATAPI CD-ROM with an PCMCIA IDE interface.  I used this udner
Linux's PCMCIA support, and I believe it will also work with FreeBSD's
now, since it supports removable IDE interfaces.

There's also another CD-ROM (it's either a Panasonic or Sony) that is based
on a PCMCIA SCSI controller that the FreeBSD PCMCIA stuff supports.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com> *NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!*      | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ#16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.