Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:41:23 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Indexing the Handbook

--JWEK1jqKZ6MHAcjA

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 01:15:54PM -0700, Murray Stokely wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 08:39:14PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > I'm thinking we might leave GEN_INDEX off by default in the Makefiles,
> > and turn it on when doing 'official' web builds.  It drastically
> > increases the build time for documents with lots of index entries.
>=20
> GEN_INDEX doesn't control whether or not book.sgml looks for
> index.sgml, so if we do this, we will have to commit a null index.sgml
> file or add more intelligence in the GEN_INDEX case.  What we really
> need is a conditional entity, &chap.index, that varies depending on
> whether GEN_INDEX is set.  I'm sure this can be done, but I don't know
> how.

We can't we, in the non-GEN_INDEX case, just "echo > index.sgml" in the
Makefile?

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--JWEK1jqKZ6MHAcjA

--JWEK1jqKZ6MHAcjA--