Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 11:54:54 -0700
From:      Steve Roskowski <rosko@mpath.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   install friendly?

two problems

first - as a "new" user of FreeBSD, the install procedure drove me
absolutely nuts.  After 8 hours, I handed it over to a professional.  2
days, 8 reinstalls of Windows98 & FreeBSD and now it works.  More on this
later if it matters.

Second - the system does not recogonize my IDE ZIP drive.  It is the slave
on the second built in IDE controller, with the first controller supporting
an HD and CDROM.  The master slot on the second IDE bus is vacant.  The
after finding the first IDE controller, it looks for (from memory) wdc0 at
0x170 (proper address from Win98 for 2nd IDE) and does not find anything,
so it skips the ZIP drive.  Suggestions?  Given my painful intitial install
experience I am a little gun-shy about moving things around without input.

- on the install, some details
system has an IDE HD on the built in controller and an Adapted PCI card
with a 4 gig drive.  The target configuration was Win95 on the IDE and
FreeBSD on SCSI.  Apparently after many many attempts this is not possible.
 Although all of the tools blindly let you proceed, when FreeBSD tries to
boot it panics, unable to find root, and promptly writes a boot record into
the bottom of the Win95 drive, corrupting it.  The entire system is then
dead, forcing a complete reinstall.

The system now works with a small root partition on the IDE drive for
FreeBSD along with Win95, and the usr partition on SCSI.  Acceptable, but I
sure wish the docs or the tools would have saved me 3 days.

steve