Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 19:53:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seeking advice on mrouted configuration..

>  > if mrouted thinks the ed0 and sl0 are on the same network because
>  > of overlaping netmasks, it will not forward to sl0.
>
>  Any chance of perhaps adding an option to *force* it to do so anyway? :-)

the offending code is in the kernel. If I remember correctly, it is possible
to bypass this netmask enforcement. I would have to think through the
possibility of multicast routing problems. For example, mrouted may not forward
something orginating on sl0, because it thinks ed0 attached devices already
see the packet.

--mark.