Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 16:58:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rasmus@bellglobal.com
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, rsacrack@vex.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RSA] RSA Challenge - 23blocks from First Place!!

> Is this thing actually formated as a race, or is it just being run as
> one to excuse the duplication of effort?
>
> If it's duplication of effort, you'd think that one of you would start
> at the top and work down, and then both stop when you meet -- like the
> transcontinental railroad.

What duplication?  We are obviously not working on the same keys as
somebody else.  There is a big pool of keys being handed out by the
key servers.  Once a key has been searched and reported back, it is not
handed out again.

By the way, the Deschall and Brydder clients seem to be an order of
magnitude faster than these current rc5 clients we are running.
The benchmarks from http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm show:

  Dual Pentium 200 MHz -- 2.003M keys per second -- reported by user.
  PentiumPro 166MHz -- 901K keys per second -- Linux P6 client.
  PentiumPro 180MHz -- 850K keys per second -- reported by user.
  Apple PowerPC 804 180MHz -- 774K keys per second -- Linux client.
  Pentium 133 MHz -- 662K keys per second -- Windows P5 client.
  Pentium 120 MHz -- 600K keys per second -- Linux P5 client.
  Pentium 90 MHz -- 454K keys per second -- FreeBSD P5 client.
  486-DX2/66 -- 155K keys per second -- FreeBSD 486 client.
  486-DX2/66 -- 153K keys per second -- OS/2 Warp 486 client.
  486-DX2/66 -- 135K keys per second -- Windows 486 client.
  Sun Ultra2 Dual CPU -- 1.060M+ keys per second - Sparc client.
  Sun SS20-60 Dual CPU -- 382K+ keys per second - Sparc client.
  SparcStation IPX 4/50 -- 157K keys per second - Sparc client.
  SparcStation IPC 4/40 -- 40.5K keys per second - Sparc client.

We need to either take this client and use it to improve the clients
we are using or scrap our current approach and join the Deschall effort.
With clients that are so much faster than ours, we don't stand a chance.

-Rasmus