Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 2015 13:20:47 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: limiting find(1) in /etc/periodic scripts

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 05:39:58 -0500
Scott Bennett wrote:

>      Well, that's not a worry because the locate stuff has only
> created empty locate databases since sometime in FreeBSD 6.  I've
> tried several times without success to get it to work

It works for me with the periodic script.  You might have run into the
problem I had when I tried to build a database for my home directory
files.

I don't know why, but it seems that find is sensitive to permissions on
underlying mount-points.  I had extra partitions mounted under ~/, and
the  permissions were set-up to prevent anything writing under or
traversing the mount-points when nothing was mounted. This caused
find to terminate with an error.

I'm wondering if you've done something similar - /tmp is the most
likely candidate.

> and to get it to run as "nobody".

It does run as nobody.