Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 01:53:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, nate@mt.sri.com, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernfs/procfs questions...

Jason Thorpe said:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 1998 19:44:47 -0500 (EST)
>  "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>
>  > Why don't you just stay away from the kernel, and work on things that
>  > you understand?
>
> Wow, you're a mature individual.

Yep, he has indicated that he didn't understand sections of code
that he was threatening to modify.  That comment reinforced specifically
that issue.  Of course, you exclude that context for your sniping.

I took Nate's threat of modifing code that he doesn't own seriously.

> Obscurity is a very lame way of ensuring job security.

Actually, they have been hassling me for quite a while.  I suggest that
they do the work, and I'll feed them the info.  Note that he had previously
said that he doesn't understand the VM code, and I don't have time to
teach him.

I do suggest looking at the Red Daemon book, and if the person doesn't
understand the documentation there, then there is little that can be
done to help.

One good thing about our code, is that we didn't reinvent things when
there was no need to (we do not practice NIH syndrome.)  Also, all
algorithms are fully disclosed in source code, and there is no code
that is explicitly obscured.