Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 03:17:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        Jamie Oulman <jamie@techsquare.com>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Just lost one to Linux. Compaq server support.

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>The only way to escape the proprietary trap is to
>install something that isn't sold commercially by anyone, such as FreeBSD.

I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly.

It's difficult these days for someone in this industry not to come into
contact with linux systems on a regular basis.  I cringe at the way RH
and its derivatives do things.  I would add however that, when I must
deal with linux and I have a choice I prefer using Debian.  I think
they've produced a more reliable, more sane distribution for the same
reasons you've mentioned above as making FreeBSD better than RedHat.
They simply have no commercial interests to worry about.  Some people's
largest complaint about Debian is that the stable release is so far
behind the linux mainstream but others would argue that this is what
makes it so good.  The way they've designed their package management
it's perfectly possible to run a stable series system and upgrade just
the certain packages which are vulnerable or in which you need
additional functionality.  It's also possible to backdown more
experimental packages in the frozen and testing releases to regain
stability.  The same granularity is possible with FreeBSD but you have
to know a bit about CVS and how to generate diffs against remote
versions.  Hopefully libh will reach the point where the base system is
under package management and the same granularity will be easy with
FreeBSD.

Believe me, I'm no Debian evangelist and I quite frankly think a lot of
their decisions with regard to the importance of the almighty RMS & his
beloved GPL are misguided at best, but that's been covered elsewhere in
-chat.  ;-) I do, however, think they're an excellent example of how
non-commercial software can be inherently better.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
"Iam mens praetrepidans avet vagari."
- G. Valerius Catullus, Carmina, XLVI