Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 2011 12:30:15 GMT
From:      Maxim Ignatenko <gelraen.ua@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/163508: [rc.subr] [patch] Add &quot;enable&quot; and &quot;disable&quot; commands to rc.subr

The following reply was made to PR conf/163508; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Maxim Ignatenko <gelraen.ua@gmail.com>
To: Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: conf/163508: [rc.subr] [patch] Add &quot;enable&quot; and
 &quot;disable&quot; commands to rc.subr
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 14:20:19 +0200

 On 24 December 2011 04:15, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
 > This idea has been considered before and rejected because it's too
 > difficult to catch all the corner cases, and actually editing a config
 > file is not really all that hard of a thing to do.

 The idea was to make enabling/disabling services less error-prone. It
 don't need to catch _all_ corner cases, because if administrator do
 something unusual with startup configuration he should be able to
 manipulate it in proper way, or even have tools that do something
 similar.
 Proposed patch handles /etc/rc.conf, /etc/rc.conf.local and
 /etc/rc.conf.d/* properly (I hope), so it should fit nicely in 95% of
 cases.
 Doing `service someserive enable` is much faster and less error-prone
 that `service someservice rcvar ; echo someservicercvar_enable=YES >>
 /etc/rc.conf`