Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 1996 10:00:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -current kernel problems

On Sun, 7 Jan 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:

> On Jan 6,  9:01, -Vince- wrote:
> } Subject: Re: -current kernel problems
> } On Sat, 6 Jan 1996, J Wunsch wrote:
> }
> } > Btw., if nobody is answering a particular question, while everyone
> } > seems to be happy with -current, chances are good that you should look
> } > into your environment again.
> }
> } 	I did and Stefan Esser seemed to say sysctl is having some
> } problems on some machines...  It isn't the environment since we have the
> } same hardware as freefall does.
>
> Hmm, well, I remember saying that sysctl has
> problems on /your/ machine ...
>
> I also said, that there are ongoing changes
> in that area ...
>
> In general, it seems to work just fine. And I
> get more and more the impression, that you have
> rebuilt a kernel from incompatible parts ...
>
> But the "sysctl -w kern.bootfile=/kernel.old"
> which fails on your system is unneccesary anyway,
> if you are going to reboot immediately. And you
> just should rebuild /usr/sbin/config, configure
> your kernel using the new binary, and then build
> a kernel in a clean compile directory.

	Hmmm, the first time, I always do a kernel compile in a clean
compile directory since I will always rm -rf /usr/src/sys/compile/ASTRO
after every kernel compile and I did do the make world before the kernel
compile so that should have rebuild the /usr/sbin/config binary and I
even rm -rf /usr/src and then resupped everything just to be sure.  Is
there a way to debug the problem since it can't even log it to the
/var/log/messages file as everything is just core dumping.

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin - http://www.COSC.GOV/~vince
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan/Priscilla Chan Fan Club
Mailing Lists Admin