Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 16:35:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        jim@siteplus.net
Cc:        erichz@superhero.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rsync for mirroring

On  6 Jun, Jim Weeks wrote:

> I found this article very helpful http://www.freebsddiary.org/rsync.php
>
> You should be able to run the daemon fairly securely as (uid root) and (gid
> wheel) as long as you follow the directions in the security section.  You
> should also set (list=false) in order to protect the names of your
> modules.
>
> I should think that with the anonymity of your rsync user-name (which by
> the way does not have to coincide with any system user-name), hidden
> password and hidden module names combined with ssh encryption, you should
> be fairly secure.

I haven't read the article, but if I read the above paragraph: No! Don't
rely on security by obscurity!

If you run ssh as root: just do ssh port forwarding and only allow
connections to the rsync daemon from localhost. Now just connect the
rsync client to the ssh tunnel.
But: do this only if you trust the users on the system where the rsync
daemon runs.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
      ...and that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.