Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:42:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/32679: Kernel Config chapter could use touching up

>Number:         32679
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Kernel Config chapter could use touching up
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Handbook, Kernel config could use improvement

>How-To-Repeat:
Read, pretent your new, and ask youself "what if" and "could I"

>Fix:
Read this patch, if you like it, commit it, if you don't, edit or complain to me

*** chapter.old	Thu Dec  6 19:35:16 2001
--- chapter.sgml	Thu Dec  6 20:49:19 2001
***************
*** 111,117 ****
        </listitem>

        <listitem>
! 	<para>Less memory use.  A custom kernel often uses less memory
  	  than the <literal>GENERIC</literal> kernel, which is important
  	  because the kernel is one process that must always be present in
  	  memory.  For this reason, a custom kernel is especially useful
--- 111,117 ----
        </listitem>

        <listitem>
! 	<para>Less memory usage.  A custom kernel often uses less memory
  	  than the <literal>GENERIC</literal> kernel, which is important
  	  because the kernel is one process that must always be present in
  	  memory.  For this reason, a custom kernel is especially useful
***************
*** 160,166 ****
  	then <literal>Distributions</literal>, then
!     </note>

      <para>Next, move to the
        <filename><replaceable>arch</replaceable>/conf</filename> directory
--- 160,177 ----
  	then <literal>Distributions</literal>, then
!       <para>Another way we could do this is by using the commandline and
! 	typing out <screen><procedure>
! 	&prompt.root; <userinput>mount</userinput> /cdrom
! 	&prompt.root; <userinput>mkdir -p</userinput>
! 	    <filename>/usr/src/sys</filename>
!  	&prompt.root; <userinput>ln -s</userinput> /usr/src/sys
! 	     /sys
!  	&prompt.root; <userinput>cat /mnt/cdrom/sys/ssys.[a-d]* | tar
! 	     -xzvf</userinput>
! 	</procedure>
!  	</screen><para>
!      </note>

      <para>Next, move to the
        <filename><replaceable>arch</replaceable>/conf</filename> directory
***************
*** 202,210 ****
  	denied</errortype> errors.</para>
      </note>

!       editor.  If you are just starting out, the only editor available
!       will probably be <command>vi</command>, which is too complex to
        explain here, but is covered well in many books in the <link
        linkend="bibliography">bibliography</link>.  However, FreeBSD does
        offer an easier editor called <quote>ee</quote> which, if you are a
--- 213,227 ----
  	denied</errortype> errors.</para>
      </note>

!     <para>Alternativly you could store your entire config file inside the
! kernel itself and then use a command to extract it later.  This is a great
! idea if you have a significantly small <filename>/usr</filename> partition,
! and don't really wish to keep the sources around.  We will explain this
! procedure later.</para>
!
!       your favorite text editor.  If you are just starting out, the only editor
!       available will probably be <command>vi</command>, which is too complex to
        explain here, but is covered well in many books in the <link
        linkend="bibliography">bibliography</link>.  However, FreeBSD does
        offer an easier editor called <quote>ee</quote> which, if you are a
***************
*** 976,981 ****
--- 993,1008 ----
      <para>This is for an Iomega Zip drive.  It requires
        performance is achieved with ports in EPP 1.9 mode.</para>
+
+
+      <para>Uncomment this line to store this configuration file into your
+ 	kernel, you will be able to extract it later using the command
+ 	<screen><userinput>&prompt.root; strings -n 3 /kernel |sed 's/^__//p' >
+ 	<replaceable>MYKERNEL</replaceable</userinput></screen>
+ 	<programlist>#options	 INCLUDEC_CONFIG_FILE	 #Include this config
+ 	file</programlist></para>
+
+

      <programlisting># PCI Ethernet NICs.
  device          de         # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (<quote>Tulip</quote>)