Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 21:42:32 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        pura life CR <puralifecr@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Processes hiding techniques.

pura life CR wrote:
> Hi, I would like to know what are current processes hiding techniques that
> can be used in FreeBSD for an intruder. I would like to know this for
> learning how to deal with this situation when I become a FreeBSD admin.

The same techniques for any UNIX system.

> For example, an user wants to run a nmap or password cracking or a irc bot,
> what can he do to hide the process so the admin when perform a ps -ax is not
> able to look the process.

Replace the "ps" program, is the obvious one.

The easy fix for this is for the admin to mount the directory
containing the binary as read-only.  You'd have a hell of a time
replacing it then; you might as well ask how to change the title
on a magazine cover after it's printed.  8-).

If the admin doesn't want to do that, they can use something like
TrustedBSD.  Cryptographic checksumming and binary signing will
prevent all command replacement attacks not performed by an
insider.

Run their own copy of the OS, and run the copy that's supposed to
be running under vmware.

That's pretty easy to spot, too, both by sluggish performance,
console differences, and the fact that your de0 ethernet interface
just changed names on you.  8-) 8-).

For all the kernel module techniques, where the reported information
is inconsistant with the true state, an admin just needs to bump the
securelevel to 1 or 2, and it stops the attacker cold, unless they
have physical access to the machine.

A smart admin will still notice signs that the process is running;
if nothing else, they will notice a difference in system responsiveness,
due to the increased load.

In general, if you want to do this, you should buy your own computer.

If you want more information, you should probably subscribe to
"bugtraq", or read it online.  Since the attacks used will change
over time, this is not something you can learn once, and be done
learning it.

PS: What's the "pua" for?

-- Terry