Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:55:57 -0400
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   galeon and ssl??

First off lemme say well done to the people responsible for the galeon
port.  For basic browsing it works great and is very responsive.  But I
do have a problem, I can't get ssl to work.  :-(

from the galeon faq...

14. Galeon hangs when I try accessing my secure banking/intranet site?
     Doesn't Galeon support https?

Yes, Galeon does support https (as long as you have the Mozilla PSM
module configured / installed).  But you may have a problem if the site
uses self signed certificates, as Galeon can't currently show the
dialog box to allow you to accept the certificate (it's a problem with
the embedding widget).  Here's a fix:

(1) Quit Galeon
(2) Delete the file ~/.galeon/mozilla/galeon/cert7.db
(3) Link to the mozilla cert7.db.
     Example: ln -s ~/.mozilla/default/cert7.db ~/.galeon/mozilla/galeon/
(4) Run Mozilla, go to the site you're trying to use, and accept
     the certificate "forever".
(5) Quit Mozilla, and start Galeon again. You should now be able to
     enter and use the site normally.

I'm not 100% sure about the mozilla PSM thing, but ssl works fine for
me with mozilla so I'm assuming it's installed.  I installed galeon
from the port and when I tried to go to a site using https it seems
like galeon doesn't even try to fetch the url.  I tried to follow the
directions outlined above but hit a few snags.  first off,
~/.galeon/mozilla/galeon/ didn't exist so obviously there wasn't a
cert7.db in there to delete.  the only cert7.db file under ~/.mozilla
was ~/.mozilla/dfrazier/y7ohunwd.slt/cert7.db, so I created the
~/.galeon/mozilla/galeon/ dir and made a symlink to that file.  Then I
fired up galeon and tried to go to one of the secure pages that are
part of our intranet and got the same results, nothing.  It seems like
galeon doesn't try to fetch any url beginning with https://.

Both mozilla-0.9.2,1 and galeon-0.11.1 are installed from the ports.
Is this something that's just not implemented yet(at least in the port)
or should this be working?  can anyone get ssl to work with the galeon
port?

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                    Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

         - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.