Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:26:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      bugs@freebsd.netcom.com (Mark Hittinger)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: Help! System won't boot the normal way after make world

> Using FreeBSD 4.0 current for quite some time
> and staying current with cvsup work fine for me a few months.
> But today shit hits the fan, after a make world my system won't boot without
> errors and manual interference..

Check your dmesg for the ethernet interfaces that come up when you boot
your kernel.  I had a similar problem last week where my system drive got
so corrupted I couldn't use it - had to reinstall and start over.  Are you
using a 3c5x9 etherlinkIII card (ep0)?  Check to see if some of the other
ethernet interfaces that aren't there are being incorrectly recognized and
enabled.

In order to use the latest kernel I have to "boot -c" and disable ed0
otherwise I get major sig11's, kernel hangs, and corrupted disks.  Disabling
the ethernet drivers that don't exist on my configuration makes the bad
man stop - although I've already re-installed because of the corruption
damage.  You may need to consider that if your situation is similar to
mine.

Later

Mark Hittinger
Mindspring/Netcom/Dallas