Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2008 01:13:24 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Wojciech Puchar" <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>, Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>, Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>, kline@thought.org
Subject:   RE: Duplex printer advice

The 5Si is also an excellent printer.

The higher-end HP LJ's are not crap, and last many many years too.
The problem is that around the post-4 and post-5 years HP started
coming out with the personal LJ printers, which are all crap,
and jacked up the price of the workgroup printers to prevent
sabotaging the sales of the cheap crap.

> > My HP Laserjet 4+ at home is the oldest operating piece of
> > computer equipment I have.  And I fully expect it to last
> > another decade, and once it dies, I have another one in the
> > basement that I picked up for $50 - WITH a duplexer.
>
> i don't think it will stop within 10 years. but do you have original
> HP manual? if not - i have for laserjet 4 in PDF.
> do not try to disassembly without it :)

I do, and have repaired many fuser idler gears in these printers,
as that is usually what gets teeth broken off it and is responsible
for most of the jams.

Ebay is flooded with cheap HP LJ 4 parts.  I kind of suspect that
somewhere in China is a company that produces counterfeits of these
and other popular HP Laserjets.

Ted