Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:18:26 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Preece <davep@afterswish.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD in good standing in netcraft survey

[ Redirected to -chat ]

On 02-Nov-00 Greg Black wrote:
>  David Preece writes:
> > Possibly off topic, possibly not. Am I the only one who doesn't really care
> > about uptimes?
>  I certainly am not impressed by uptimes over about 100 days.
>  They show that the site does not care about keeping current.

if its not broken why fix it? :)

>  If it made sense to have several hundred days of uptime, what is
>  the point of all the development work done by the FreeBSD (and
>  other OS) developers?  These people work hard to improve the
>  system and it makes sense to at least run the latest production
>  release.  In the case of FreeBSD, this means a reboot at least
>  every three to four months when the CDs are released.

I disagree, if it ain't broke don't upgrade it. Noone provides a guarantee that the
newer code has a functionality superset of the old, and indeed the newer code
sometimes has old driver chopped (for good reasons usually :)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum