Date:      Sat, 06 May 2000 12:13:16 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] Finding people with GSM phones (was Re: GPS heads up )

Mike Smith wrote:

> > There were some famous cases where some criminals were located by tracking
> > down their cell phone. The police needed some decision from court to do
> > that, but after that, it was a short way to go. The GSM nets have some of
> > this ability built in, to track phones. The operators only don't want the
> > "normal" citizen or user to know about that.
>
> This capability of GSM was well known when it was introduced in .au, but
> when my phone was stolen, the telco bastards wouldn't admit to being able
> to tell me anything about where it was (even though I could still call
> it...).
>
> What's being proposed here sounds just slightly scary.

Depends on your big brother complex. When I first went to work at
Hanford, I was told that 1 in 10 calls were recorded. You didn't worry
about it. You didn't say anything stupid either :).

Some of the western parts of the US have a lot of milleage between
towns. Australia is much worse in a lot of areas. How many people know
if they are closer to one emergency service or another. One could be
100 miles (160km) away and the next one could be 10. It could be even
worse and would depend on a helicopter being dispatched with
paramedics. You are in the middle of no where but you can still have
an active cell phone. It doesn't do the emergency services people any
good unless they have an idea where you are.

Kent

> --
> \\ Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. \\  Mike Smith
> \\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA