Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:56:32 +0100
From:      "Howard Jones" <howie@thingy.com>
To:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Flash Support in older mobos?

OK - a bit more experimentation this evening gets me to the final bootloader
level (after the kernel has loaded, where it says 'Press Enter to Boot
Immediately or wait 10 Seconds'). When you press enter the little spinning
\|-/ thing stops dead. I think this is a kernel issue, but the kernel isn't
*that* non-standard - all I stripped out was the SCSI controller support,
not any of the older processor stuff (which I've seen cause trouble before).

The bootloader in general works with flash OK. I know that, because I use
the same system image, with a few extras to run a silent X system on my desk
(Via C3, no fan, very quiet MicroATX PSU, fully integrated motherboard),
using a 32Mb DoM. That board will also happily boot the CF.

Time for some better experimenting tomorrow, I suppose. I'll try booting the
same kernel from a real hard disk and see what happens.

Howie