Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:35:51 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ada <ada@noether.lab.usyd.edu.au>
To:        chet@po.CWRU.Edu
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ?

> > I'd like to see zsh pushed for inclusion into the contrib tree; it's small,
> > beautiful, and inclusive (in that it understands a fair amount of csh as
> > well as sh syntax).
> Wow.  This is the first time I've ever heard zsh described as `small'
> and `beautiful'.  (FWIW, I don't think I'd describe bash that way,
> either, no matter how drunk I was.)
> I'd say that bash and zsh are of comparable size.  The current
> development version of bash-2.03, dynamically linked against
> shared readline and history libraries, is:

Well, shells should be statically linked.  I was comparing static sizes
and source sizes, and in this case, zsh is smaller by a fair chunk.

-r--r--r--   1 mirror   mirror    1510428 Apr 17 14:10 bash-2.02.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 mason  zsh  848878 Jun  1 08:15 zsh-3.1.4.tar.gz

I don't have binaries for bash handy, so I can't give you relative static
sizes.

Source size is important if we ever consider integrating either into the source
tree as the 'standard'  "user" shell.
(Which, IMHO, we should do for at least one user-friendly shell).

--
"Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do."
	-- Bertrand Russell