Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:03:08 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Scrollkeeper (was Re: An opportunity for FreeBSD)

Hi chaps,

I've added -ports in to this discussion, but reply-to is set back to -doc.

Long quote kept for context.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 11:17:02PM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> On 18-Sep-00 Mark Ovens wrote:
> > I fired off an e-mail to a couple of contacts Nik gave me, one of the
> > replies I got is included at the end of this mail. As you can see the
> > project is only just getting started and as yet no code has been
> > produced. Currently the webpage mentioned in the e-mail has been taken
> > down as they discovered that the name "Dewey" (from the Dewey-decimel
> > system used for cataloguing by libraries) was trade-marked. The
> > project is looking for a new name.
>
> Now called "ScrollKeeper", it would appear.
> http://scrollkeeper.sourceforge.net
>
> >From what you've said, and from what information is available on their web
> site, this certainly sounds like a project worth getting involved in.
>
> > I have subscribed to the mailing list (which is rather quiet at the
> > moment, but should liven up once code is available) and would like to
> > be able to announce that FreeBSD is "officially" supporting the
> > project (which means a committment to adopting Dewey for the
> > ports/packages when it reaches production quality). I am willing to
> > act as co-ordinator for this and will attempt to do most of the work.
>
> Great. I've also subscribed to their list, just so I can stay in the loop and
> offer up any help where I feel I can.
>
> With regard to "officially" deciding to support the project, I guess after
> sufficent discussion Nik and Satoshi could a rubber-stamp our final decision.

For the record, I'm fully in support of this, up to and including making
sure that our documentation set is categorised using it.  For those of you
reading this on the -ports list I think this is an effort we need to
support -- at the very least by making it possible (note: *not* mandatory)
for our ports to 'install' this metadata where appropriate.

If any interested parties would like to meet up at BSDCon to discuss this
then let me know.