Date:      Tue, 9 May 2006 03:30:02 +0200
From:      Joerg Pernfuss <elessar@bsdforen.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setting up pppoe

--Sig_/NqvPT_+KkEjRP5Uk4+7+b8

On Mon, 8 May 2006 21:05:02 -0400
"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:

> People,
>=20
> I found this section in the handbook
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html
>=20
> and it mentions a ppp.conf file like so
>=20
> default:
>   set log Phase tun command # you can add more detailed logging if
> you wish set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0

ppp needs some address to work with right from the beginning, before
you get assigned an IP address from your isp. The original idea was,
from my understanding, that you could specify your network, and would
then only be assigned the host part of the address.

Hence the /0, which specifies that nothing is network-part and you
take whatever IP address you get assigned.

	Joerg
--=20
| /"\   ASCII ribbon   |  GnuPG Key ID | e86d b753 3deb e749 6c3a |
| \ / campaign against |    0xbbcaad24 | 5706 1f7d 6cfd bbca ad24 |
|  X    HTML in email  |        .the next sentence is true.       |
| / \     and news     |     .the previous sentence was a lie.    |

--Sig_/NqvPT_+KkEjRP5Uk4+7+b8

--Sig_/NqvPT_+KkEjRP5Uk4+7+b8--