Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:15:56 +0100
From:      "Karl M. Joch" <k.joch@kmjeuro.com>
To:        "freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   salesman is thinking.....

I think the main difference is in the 3 different views (sure more are to
find) on a product:

1. PROGRAMMERS AND ADMINS: they want a stable system with a lot of features
to make their daily job easier. they are able to compile programs and doing
programming.

2. THE DEALERS: they need to make money with selling Hardware. They want an
Operating system, they can easily setup with not to much headache coming up
when the system is at the customer.

3. THE USER: sometimes we all forget the user. but in fact we all have our
systems running because of the users!. they want a workstation/pc where
they can switch on and click to start word processing, spreadsheet and
their commercial package. (most of them don?t do more). users are normally
not interested in programming and daily operating work.

but to increase the installed base of freebsd i think it is necceary to get
more USERS to have it. this means that a quick setup version of something
called "business workstation" must be available for them. easy to setup and
no maintanance in daily work.

more users are only possible if the dealers will sell their computers with
this package. FreeBSD has a lot of advantages for dealers witch NT or Win9x
doesn?t have:

- no licencing troubles
- lot of free applications available
- AND THE REAL INTERESTING THING FOR THEM:
	they can sell their products cheaper!

if more dealers will give out computers with FreeBSD, more users will use
it and then also more programmers/admins are required. so all fits together
.

in detail a lot more things would be required like:

multilanguage support, different applications and support.

..... only thoughts of a marketing/salesman.

Karl M. Joch
k.joch@kmjeuro.com (Austria)