Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 12:14:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        dyson@freebsd.org, terry@lambert.org, scrappy@hub.org, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vendors registry

> >So, my suggestion is that if a change from the current course is wanted, and
> >no-one is willing to donate the time for free, those that want the change
> >can do it, or fund (or otherwise enable) the change.
>
> Its really not feasible, unfortunately. The only way to do it is become a
> BSDI,
> which is a serious step. Or, take a snapshot and maintain it as...say, a
> router
> O/S, like OpenBSD has done.

Well, an OpenBSD developer has likely had support to do exactly what they are
doing in that area or has invested time for a potential product.  Many FreeBSD
developers are being funded and/or supported for various applications also
(including one like that.)  Those who want changes, and are supporting them, are
likely getting them quickly.  One can increase the probability of change by
contributing to FreeBSD or by funding it.

Simply waiting for it to happen is not being proactive.  Changes and
improvements will appear over time, but the priorities can be modified
by supporting them.

There are at least a couple of motivations for a particular developer to fix
things.  First, it is an issue of pride, second it is an issue of funding.
Really gross problems usually get fixed relatively quickly, but there are
times where there are conflicting resource dependencies, and then it becomes
a resource allocation issue.  We can either risk one part of the project
for another, or we can bring more resources to bear on the various
enhancements and problems.

John