Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 1995 15:03:33 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        jcargill@cs.wisc.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New 2.1.0-950726-SNAP available - come 'n get it!

> Names (if Jordan agrees with the proposal) will become:
> X.Y-BRANCH:
> 	These are -current versions of the branch, and
> 	BRANCH currently has the values ``STABLE'' or ``CURRENT''.
>
> X.Y-BRANCH-SNAPMMDDYY:
> 	This is a snap shot on MMDDYY of one of the branches,
> 	it is turned on by a release engineering during snap
> 	shot building.  Only the MMDDYY part is provided (and
> 	the change with use "`date`" to get that.)
>
> X.Y-RELEASE:
> 	This is a release, this requires a commit to build
> 	a proper release src tree so that things built with
> 	that src tree also say ``RELEASE''.  This will appear
> 	briefly at the end of a -stable branch as the release
> 	is merged and such before -STABLE rolls up to the
> 	next version and all the numbers get bumped by the
> 	person doing the cvs ops such as tree tagging.  [Humm..
> 	perhaps the branch should be called ``STABALIZING'' :-)]

>From a gnats point of view there's a few things I'd like to see.

If there's a unique release name then we can segragate reports in the
database on a per-release basis. This would include alpha and beta
releases so when we finally adopt a proper release process those who have
alpha or beta copies will have the PR's labelled as such and we can
look up just bug reports for any particular cycle of a release.

Gnats is currently very broken in this respect because releases go out the
door without the send-pr version getting bumped.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul