Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:45:24 +0300
From:      Kirill Bezzubets <kirill@solaris.ru>
To:        Patrick Lathem <trashcan@hotmail.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7 -> 5.0 Pccard problems (more info)

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 08:08:31PM +0900, Patrick Lathem wrote:

> Hi. My PCMCIA slot stopped working after I upgraded from 4.7 to 5.0 RC1
> (and is still not working on 5.0 cvsupped a few hours ago). When I try to
> run pccardd manually as root I get this:
>
> pccardd[541]: fatal error: no PC-CARD slots

Actually, 5.0 with NEWCARD kernel (GENERIC and so on) introduces full
CardBus support and pccardd doesn't need anymore.

> I emailed the list earlier,  but I failed to mention that error.
>
> I'm assuming it is no longer recognizing my Pcmcia device (not the card).

You're wrong:

> cbb0: <TI1410 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 11 at device 6.0 on pci2
> cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
> pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0

What is the card? Does kernel identify card when it's inserted?

btw, question for all:

Since there's no pccardd anymore, how could I assign address etc.
to network interface when card is attached?

Address setup works at boot time if NIC is attached, but if I remove
and insert the card again - nope. No network setup and so I have to
run ifconfig manually.

I suppose that's what devd for, but not sure.

--
BR,
Kirill Bezzubets                                CASE-RIPE CASE-RIPN