Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2021 10:59:19 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd@ohreally.nl
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 09:52:33AM +0100, freebsd@ohreally.nl wrote:
> Hi Baptiste,
>
> Thank you for that; that's quite helpful.
>
> > /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg is mecanism to save old libraries, during upgrade,
> > ensure programs still linked to those old libs continues to run
>
> Okay.
> So just to be sure: after I have killed or restarted any programs that may
> be using these libraries, I can empty this directory?
>
> > What does pkg -vv shows you ?
>
> > pkg -vv | grep BACKUP
> BACKUP_LIBRARIES = false;
> BACKUP_LIBRARY_PATH = "/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg";
>
> So I guess I found a bug.
> I'll create an issue at GitHub.
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Rob

It is weird I cannot reproduce locally for now. and I double check the code, I
see no obvious mistake and on none of my freebsd setup /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg
gets populated, beside the one where I explicitly set BACKUP_LIBRARIES to true!

Are you sure you don't have a BACKUP_LIBRARIES env var which is setup ?

Are you out of curiosity using portmaster?

Best regards,
Bapt